Thursday, July 26

Life Lessons

LessonIlloYou can’t always control the changes in your life, but you can control how you react to them. This is one of those important life lessons that I end up learning over and over again. I’ve always been a knee-jerk reaction, shoot-from-the-hip kind of girl but recently a situation at work arose where I actually took a step back and considered how I should respond (I know, weird right? I must be growing up or something).

As a manager of a team, it’s always surprising to me how much my level of energy and enthusiasm effects my artists. On days when I’m just not feeling it, they’re not feeling it either and if they see me start to slack off, they’ll slack off too. This means that when we hit a major roadblock on a project I need to stay positive, not just for myself but also to set an example for the team. We all feed off of each other’s energy, consciously or not, and as a leader it should be my responsibility to be a source of positive energy for my team.

This is a trait that is constantly pulling on me. It’s so hard for me to remember to check myself before I make a sour face or say something I shouldn’t. Sometimes I’m good about it and other times I’m horribly bad about it, but I try to be aware of how my behavior effects those around me and I try my hardest to react appropriately in tough situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment