Thursday, April 19

Running

I used to hate running. I HATED it. I would avoid it at all costs. All the way from elementary school through college I shunned all sports. I got through high school by joining colorguard which counted as PE credit. Now don’t get me wrong, we worked hard in colorguard and it was definitely a good exercise and a more demanding commitment than gym class, but it didn’t involve a lot of running.

When Brian and I got engaged last year, I made the decision that I wanted to be in the best physical shape that I’ve ever been in for our wedding. I wanted to know that on our wedding day, I have never looked or felt better about myself. So I started running. On a treadmill, at least three times a week. At first I really hated it. I couldn’t breathe, I felt weak and lame for not being able to run for more than two minutes straight, and my heart rate was through the roof. After running at a speed of 5 mph for two minutes, my heart rate was close to 200 beats per minute. This is pretty high, it’s higher than the highest intensity level I’m supposed to reach at my age.
Little by little over a period of about 10 months, I increased my amount of time spent running and decreased my walking/recovery time. It took a long time for my heart rate to decrease, but now it’s closer to 160 bpm when I run which is a lot more normal. Today I can run for about 10 minutes straight before I take a walking break. I’ve also grown to almost enjoy (I wouldn’t say love) running. What I do love is the way that I feel after a run and the pride I have in the progress I’ve made.

No comments:

Post a Comment