Friday, May 25

Mexico Part 2

(Check out Mexico Part 1 here)

On Tuesday, we visited with the concierge and went over all of the activities we could do while we were in Cancun. My list of things I wanted to do in Cancun went 1) Snorkeling 2) Couples massage 3) Look at Mayan ruins. We decided on a day trip out to Tulum followed by snorkeling at a place called Xel-Ha and set up reservations for that excursion for Wednesday. After planning Wednesday’s activities we decided to spend the rest of the day out on the beach. We scored a straw-roofed cabana and spent the day reading, people watching, occasionally sun bathing and ordering pina coladas. An employee from the hotel spa came around and gave out free five minute sample massages. It felt so luxurious to be out on this beautiful beach, being served alcoholic beverages and getting a massage. What more could a girl ask for?

SeaBirdBrian was obsessed with getting a good photo of this giant bird.

After hours of relaxing at the beach we went to the hotel spa and got a couples massage. I’ve gotten massages before, but never a couples massage. I thought it would be nice to be able to talk to each other during the session, but when I talked to Brian my massage therapist thought I was talking to her and asked if the pressure was okay. Each time we tried to have a conversation, the therapists would stop what they were doing and ask if we were okay, so we eventually just kept quiet and enjoyed the rest of the experience.


On Wednesday, we woke up early to catch the bus to Tulum and after an uneventful two hour bus ride, we were deposited at Tulum, tour guide in tow. The site of the ruins was very crowded, but the ruins themselves were stunning. We took at least 200 photos while we were there. The entire place is inhabited by these huge iguanas that I just couldn’t get enough of and the view from the top of the cliff overlooking the ocean was breathtaking.

My best lizard shot.

Brian’s best lizard shot.

After wandering the ruins for an hour or two, we went back to the bus that would take us to Xel-Ha, but not before snapping a few pictures with a group of guys dressed up in full Mayan garb.

Xel-Ha is a theme park that is based around this natural lagoon that mixes salt water from the ocean and fresh water from natural underground springs. The main thing to do is snorkel, but they also have scuba diving, river tubing and swimming with dolphins or manatees and other activities that you can do. It seemed a little commercial to us, but we still had a lot of fun tubing down the river and snorkeling. I saw a live conch for the first time and there was a beautiful array of tropical fish to be seen.

After a long day of snorkeling and eating (three different buffets and an open bar were included in the price), we got back on the bus to take us back to our hotel. We ordered room service and stayed up late watching movies on TV.
On Thursday we slept in and hung out around the hotel all morning before going out to do some shopping at the major shopping area across the street. Most of the stores were chains that you could find in the states, but we still enjoyed walking around outside in the nice weather and looking around the tacky souvenir shops. I bought Louis a little sombrero and Brian bought some Mayan-esque tchotchkes. For dinner, we went to an Italian restaurant called La Madonna that looked like something right out of Las Vegas. It had these giant two-story roman looking statues as you enter the restaurant and two more inside. There was also a massive copy of the Mona Lisa in psychedelic colors on the back wall. The place specialized in martinis and boasted a drink menu with over 100 varieties of martini. I went with the blood orange martini and ordered the shrimp risotto. This was seriously some of the best food we had while in Cancun.


On Friday we bid Cancun goodbye. I was sorry to go, but Brian was ready to get back home and back to our normal routine. I had to admit, I did miss Louis a lot while we were gone. The flight back to Miami wasn’t too bad, but getting out of the Miami airport was a nightmare. It took us well over an hour to get from the plane, through customs and out to our car. And then we had a two and half hour drive to get back home. We had such a great time in Cancun, I can’t wait to go back!


No comments:

Post a Comment